Friday, June 5, 2015

Rasagulla



What should be my very first recipe after a pretty long gap? - A Dessert!!

The RASAGULLA.

Being a south Indian, eating a rasagulla is in itself a big feat let alone make them....;) But here I have a foolproof method.
You no more have to buy those tinned Rasagullas.... !









What you need?

  1.  Milk - 1 litre
  2.  Water - 4 cups
  3.  Sugar - 1 cup
  4.  Lemon juice - 2 tbsp or as needed
Yes That's it! Could this BE anymore simple ?! ;)

What you have to do? 





Detailed (or so I think) recipe:

  1. Boil milk and add lemon juice to it. The milk fat will separate. Strain it using a muslin cloth, leave it over the sink, tied to the tap for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Place a heavy pan/ book (as I did :P) on the muslin cloth to squeeze out excess water.So you ultimately get Paneer/ Chena. But make sure it is not too dry :|
  3. Knead the Chena for about five minutes till it forms a soft but firm dough. Sprinkle some water if Chena seems dry.
  4. Make small balls (Golf size). They soak the syrup and grow double the size once cooked.
  5. Mix water and sugar in a pressure cooker.
  6. Add the chena balls to it. Close the lid and cook it till you get a whistle.
  7. After one whistle, take it off the stove, wait for 5 minutes and run it under cold water. This will release the pressure and the rasagullas will not get overcooked.
  8. Let them cool. Serve chilled or warm.
Kalyana Thennila... Kaaichadha Paal Nila...:) 
Soft fluffy Rasagulla

Confessions:
  • My palm hurt a bit while I kneaded the chena. But I did it anyway otherwise my Rasagullas would have disintegrated. 
  • Some people add rose water/ cardamom to the sugar syrup. I don't. Just love that milk aroma... :)
  • I thought of keeping it in my fridge for 2-3 days, but... finished them all before dinner...:|
  • You know what.... I got it in my first attempt.... BooYah!!
  • Don't worry if it breaks or hardens... You can always make Paneer Kheer out of them... Yumm...:) 
  • This is NOT my own recipe. I went through many recipes on the internet and came up with the one that suits me and is easy to follow. If a naive cook like me can make it... anyone can...!! :)



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...