Thursday, June 18, 2015

Three Ingredient Strawberry Jam

It is strawberry season and this is what you do with loads of fresh farm strawberries...

Strawberry Jam !

No Added Colours
No Preservatives
No Pectin Sugar









What you need?

 1. Strawberries - 200 gms / 2 cups*
 2. Sugar*** - 1/4 cup 
 3. Lemon - 1 small

What you have to do?

  



Detailed (or so I think) recipe:


1. Dice the freshly washed strawberries into small chunks.

2. Freez
e a small saucer/plate. (No am not kidding, And no I am not crazy!!)

3. Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the strawberries. 

4. The strawberri
es will start to leave juice and become softer.

5. At this stage add sugar and stir.

6. Squeeze a lemon while the mixture boils. It helps balance sweetness and has pectin        too... so yay!!

7. Stir in between for circa 10 minutes** till its done.

8. Store it in a sterilized bottle.


   Wait!! How do I know if its done?
      
       Well...Take the frozen plate and drop some jam on it. Tilt the plate. If the jam doesn't slide down, the jam is ready. If it trickles down, cook for some more time.
I told you am not crazy!!


Ek Chutki Jam Ki Keemath Tum Kya Janno...Toast Babu !!
Bread ke Sar Ka Taaj Hota Hai... Ek Chutki Jam! ;)

Confessions:
  • I got very little amount of jam, ate it on the same day... couldn't resist! so not sure how long I can keep this refrigerated. Although I have read it can be stored 1-2 weeks in a refrigerator 
  • I did not add all sugar at once. I tasted in between and added more or less accordingly.
  • This jam can be little runny... Because no pectin sugar! 
  • Jam is not healthy... it has got so much SUGAR!! :o So I don't make it often. Atleast I have tried not to add artificial colours/ flavours.
  • I will do a healthier recipe with strawberries in coming week. Keep watching this space for more!! :)
  • This is my recipe. I learnt it from seeing some one make mixed fruit jam long time ago! Just added my zing to it ;)
*   Approximate content. May vary according to the size of the fruit.
** Time may vary depending upon the fruit. i.e if the fruit has more water content, it might take longer. 
*** Can be substituted with Vegan/ Organic Sugar

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...